So I’m creating a summer writing plan and I encourage you to join me. I’ve never really done this before and I don’t know if it (I) will succeed, but as one who never churns out as much or as quality material as I want to, I’m open to trying anything new. The best plan is, of course, your own plan. I’ve chosen to create a plan that suits my needs and I invite you to take what works for you. My plan needs a mix of short-term ideas and long-term ideas. Below are some of the things going through my mind as I develop a plan.
Short-Term Ideas I’m Considering:
– Write a specific amount of words OR for a specific amount of time. If I choose the words option, they don’t have to be elegant prose, they just have to be there, finished. If I choose the time option, I don’t have to have a polished gem at the end, I just have to put my time in.
– Set up a regular time slot to send out submission queries. I’m a lazy submitter when it comes to sending my work to magazines and contests, which frankly is ridiculous. This helps me actually get my writing out there.
– Create regular blog updates on my plan. This will help me become beholden to someone.
Long-Term Ideas I’m Considering:
– Choose a mix of both short projects and long projects. I’m not the kind of person who works on one thing at a time very well, though I also have difficulty finishing things. Setting myself up to have a few smaller projects I can finish as well as larger projects that will take more time may be the key.
– Prioritize which projects take the most time and talent. I tend to work on what’s easiest or most interesting first instead of tackling more difficult, more “work”-like projects. I think the opposite approach may be something for me to try.
– Know when other summer activities preclude me from meeting my short-term goals and work them into the overall plan. It’s easy to say, “Gosh, I’ll be on vacation that week so I can’t write,” and then not make it up. This summer, if I can’t meet my regular schedule, I want to do my best to make up the time.
I’ll post my plan tomorrow. What about you? What are some ideas or goals you have for your summer writing plan?